Most of you know that we sold our Santa Cruz house June 2016, allowing us to further move toward our eventual goal of more permanently settling in both Alaska and Hawaii. After more than 30 years of living in this very beautiful part of California, ti feels like we're getting closer to completing a wonderful circle of life here. The place has been very good to us, and in the not-so-distant future, we will leave room for others to enjoy this as much as we did. We're currently renting a cute little place in the Seabright neighborhood by the beach. It's beginning to feel like a "victory lap" for a wonderful life around this town.
A couple of weeks ago, we were just steps away from a spectacular fireworks celebration for Santa Cruz's 150th birthday. On the weekends and holidays, we hear the delighted squeals of the folks on the Giant Dipper, from our back yard. I even got ON the Giant Dipper with our niece, promptly remembering why I only do that about once every 20 years or so. Being used to bumpy seas while commercial fishing, I didn't think it would be that intense. Wrong. The Dipper is just as crazy as I remembered.
Another stop on the tour was Shawn's reconciliation with Major League Baseball. For the the first time since 1993, we attended an excellent Giants game.
I started the school year with free Boardwalk concerts with Los Lobos and Papa Do Run Run.
Then there's the inaugural football game on the new field at Santa Cruz High. That's followed with the Northern California Band Review at the Boardwalk, with the amazing Cardinal band hosting.
All of this happens right outside my back yard.
Tomorrow would have been my mother Eliane's 84th birthday. Her passing in 2013 has led us to all of the current changes and journey's we are now taking. I think she smiles upon us now. Happy Birthday, Mom!
A few things I'm passionate about:
- Tonie Ogimachi's Website
- Santa Cruz, and 49th and 50th states
- Eliane LeBeck Tribute Page
Spanish Class Resources
- Spanish 1 Assignment Blog >
- Spanish 2 Assignment Blog >
- Spanish-speaking media links for weekly listening assignments
- Grammar and Vocabulary Videos organized by topic
- Video Links, organized by chapters
- Powerpoints: Grammar and Vocabulary Powerpoints organized by chapter >
- Class Documents: Syllabi/VocabLists/Etc
- Assessments: Speaking and Writing
- Cultural Resources
- Examples of Student Videos, organized by topic
- Professional Development Blog
- Old SCCS Spanish Class Website
- New Page
Life at six knots...